Thursday, March 29, 2012

Not Really a Second Post for the Day

This isn't really the second post of the day.  In my excitement over the hall yesterday, and not desiring to forget anything, I posted the blog previous to this in my Myspace blog.  Today I transferred the post to here; a more appropriate setting.

I've spent nearly twelve hours re-organizing paper and paper scraps.  To accommodate for a hefty but handy pre-sized paper cuts, some of the smaller dies had to be consolidated.  So too with other tools, but it will be worth the effort in the end.  Not administering enough organization torture, I labeled every bin and drawer.  Needless to say, after only twelve hours into the project, the room looks as if a paper bomb went off.  I really need to track how often I go through these two-to-three day organizational fits; it seems I do this at least every other month.  But wait!  There's more accomplished today...

For my coloured pencil collection, I saved an old coffee tin.  Yes, it's totally filled, but this collection goes back at least twenty years.  Back when the boys were kids, and I was a Camp Fire leader, I put all the crayons in a coffee bin and decorated it with a wallpaper scrap and crayon wrappers; the exterior decoration lasted virtually forever.  Each "play" coffee can had a unique decoration so they could pull the can and know what was inside at a glance.  The coloured pencil can has served well, but it was nothing to brag about.  It really bothers me when a container I use is ugly.  With some help for my great helper, we decorated the coloured pencil bucket with very pleasing results.  I added a pencil sticker on the label after taking the picture, which adds that much more cuteness.




Sometime early last year I found a small plastic accordion folder in Hobby Lobby's clearance section.  It originally sold for $10, but because it had a busted carrying strap, I picked it up for $2.00, I think.   We buy cat litter in boxes that have sturdy plastic handles.... just about the size needed to repair the accordion folder.  A match made in heaven!  Better than that, the new handle is of better plastic quality than the original.  All due credit goes to Martin that thought to marry the two.  He's one smart cookie!



I picked up a black painted wood frame with a mysterious slot in one side for 50 cents while at SSD.  Playing around with it, we discovered the slot perfectly accommodates a scrapbook page.  Martin wants me to go back and pick up as many as ten, should they still be there.  His idea is that we (yes, he likes to help scrap sometimes, too!) design decorative holiday pages to display for the various seasons.  He also wants me to display a few scrapbook pages around the house instead of photographing them and throwing into an album.  It will take an hour to make the round trip, so I hope it's worthwhile.  Maybe call to find out before leaving the house?  Nope, there might be new stuff on the floor tomorrow.  As much as he thrills over this prospect, he has yet to see what scrapbookers are doing to deep-framed art canvases.  I can put together a piece of art to hang on a wall for under $10 for what departments stores sell at $20-30, and can do a better job of it.

Probably not this year, but perhaps next, I take this hobby to the next notch and try to sell cards at the farmer's market.  I've gotten very good with cards, but don't feel I'm up to the commercial level yet.  I've always been crafty, but never considered ever making a profit from it.  Who knows?


No comments:

Post a Comment