Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Ready! Set!...

Every single item needed for the Little Darlings mini is within reach.  The last of the coordinated supplies came in today.  This is it... beginning Thursday morning it gets done, one page at a time.

The Tim Holtz Tattered Rose distress ink was not what I expected.  It's as flesh coloured as it gets.  I'd expected a stronger hint of rose or coral; be that as it may, it still functions as planned.  Although, if the either the Worn Lipstick or Moss Green happened to fall into my shopping buggy, I wouldn't take issue.

(Should anyone with two days of artistic training ever happen upon this site, they must forgive the misapplied terms because every application will be wrong.)

Ivory and brown are the two base colours that will be used throughout.  I'm not crazy about using the Vintage Photo ink colour for distressing as most scrappers seem, because while it presents a lovely brown, it always comes out looking overly dark for my tastes, and despite all attempts I can't get it to tone down.  In most cases I prefer working with the Tea Dye, but this has redder tones and might clash with this paper.  A compromise may exist between the two, but I haven't found it yet and probably won't in the distressed lines.

I'm positively itching to get started on this mini, but there are several firm commitments between picking up the scissors/glue/inks and the starting bell tomorrow.  Just to be sure, I went through all the page templates drawn up last month and still love every detail.  

Even at this late hour I haven't fully committed to the final overall size.  The decision to modify the book to the 8x8 size was based upon an abundance of that sized quality book board on hand.  There are nine 5x7 photos included in the album and I fear that the 8x8 size may turn out to be a smidgen too small.  The photos are the originals from almost 100 years ago, or about half that, so cutting them down isn't an option I'm comfortable with.  And, making re-sized copies of the photos defeats the purpose of creating a safe place to permanently store them, which is exactly why the mini is being created!  It's a historical preservation effort.  A curiosity happened today as I reviewed the photos going in the Little Darlings album.  On the back of one photo my mother had written, "My little darling."  So very fitting.  

The idea of documenting the album's construction still appeals.  Each day I plan to post pictures of the work accomplished.  Maybe, just maybe, it will all come together nicely enough to want to show it off when victims visit the house ;)

Look for pictures beginning Thursday night!

__________________

Through sheer determined effort, I discovered my worst fear: the Graphic 45 Tropical Travelogue is slowly fading out of publication.  There's still time to gather everything I'd like to have, so there's no panic involved, but it's getting harder to hit one store and find an entire collection intact... a little here, a little there.  Unfortunately, this interrupts my budgeting plans as it's probably best to accumulate it quickly before it becomes a complete hit or miss endeavor.  As is the case in the Once Upon a Springtime collection.  What a nightmare!


No comments:

Post a Comment