Saturday, June 9, 2012

New Type of Haul

Oh, my!  I've gone way over the top this time.  I took the drive down to the Annex this afternoon.  While the sales today weren't the same as the first trip, the trip was worth the while.  I've got more paper than any person could possibly use, but keep an eye out for unique finds.  There was a box, labeled 2 for 5c, where I unearthed a black, tan and white round, scalloped safari animal page.  Also inside was a transparency page with a built-in frame and light script writing on the edge.  Yes, hard to describe.  Another few steps to the left and I found small bins of interesting stencils in various shapes: palm and ancient oak trees, star and shellfish, a dove, many, many framed shapes, including watches, and more!  No prices indicated, but I picked out a few of those liked best.  Flowing out from the stencils was a vast array of Tattered Angels Glitter Glams and Glazes: 5 for $10.00.  (A real steal!)  I've made a personal commitment to incorporate flowers into layouts and minis.  AH!  There they were!  A sign said fill the bag with as many as can fit (it need not shut) for $2.00.  Find out that applied to the stencils, as well.  Scoot back to the right and grab several handfuls.  And since I am solidly into making mini albums, I broke down and bought several 12x12 canvas printed designs (one clocks in black and white, the other brightly coloured butterflies) to use as covering for a yet unidentified album, or two.  Not so much damage to the budget for all that.

I met a lady who bowled me over; I mean, God ran me smack into this gift.  She's well known in certain circles, completely understandable given her charisma that mists anyone within 20 feet of her presence.  I was totally in awe.  She invited me to lunch this coming Monday.  Hopefully I can keep my mouth from dropping down and some of the things she says.  Wow, wow, wow!  God surely is good to answer prayers not only at the degree in which we ask, but full measure, pressed down, and running over.  The deals found at the store were great, but nothing in comparison to the treasure of this woman. Should I never meet up with her again (NO way I pass up on that chance) I'd feel forever blessed by this one single conversation.  And get this... she doesn't even scrap.  Thank you, Lord, for this gift.

Ah, heck, I try to keep this journal on the singular subject of scrapbooking, but this sitting requires some personal commentary.  This tiny sliver of America called NWA is just about the most inhospitable and unfriendly area I've ever lived.  The people are friendly, but carry this impenetrable shield.  No one wants to commit to friendship; too much coming and going for anyone to ever feel settled enough to grow roots, as temporary as those roots might be.  I hear from virtually everyone how lonely they are.  Well, hello.  To fear making friends which may, and probably will, move away, and suffer loneliness in silence is about as stupid as stupid gets.  After a great deal of prayer, the solution to my isolation became obvious:  go out and make friends, align myself with people starving for contact.  Once I made the decision - and acted in faith and with action - people are virtually coming out of the walls to be heard.  I would never try to limit what God can do with me, that's for Him to decide, but to the best of my knowledge my primary gift is listening.  Once people figure out someone is actually hearing them speak, doors blow open.  Life is much too short to keep everyone shut out until "a better time and place" comes their way.

Finally, I hit the usual round of stores looking for deals, found a few.  The best buy of the day has to be our new house.  A bat house.  Really!  A box designed to house and shelter bats.  If we still had a dog, I would have never picked it up due to bats often suffer from rabies infection.  But I outweighed the slimmest risk of the most unlikely nighttime exposure to infected bats against the dramatic drop in insects we'd see if a few bats do settle in.  What did I read one time?  Each bat eats several pounds of insects each night?  Don't exactly remember, but whatever it is, it's a whole bunch of lots..  The box goes up this weekend.... we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment