Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Playing with Denim

My helper and I tore up a pair of smaller sized bluejeans, among many other materials, to make all sorts of clothing for Bear, a muchly loved "baby."  At the end, there was still a small basket filled with bluejeans scraps.  Since I'm in the midst of creating a little boy's mini, denim might come in right handy for the project.  Before today I'd cut strips of the material as "ribbons" for Martin's ABC Primer mini;  but that was the limit of my experimentation with denim and scrapping.


Pulling out a couple of items/tools close by I first attached a scrap onto a piece of chipboard, and brayed it tightly down to dry. Once relatively dried, I ran the chipboard/material through the Cuttlebug with very impressive results.  Finally, I used the Big Bite to punch a small hole in one corner and then set an eyelet.  Wa-la!  Instant tag.  This has huge potential!  If denim worked this nicely, there's no end to adaptation possibilities.

Denim applied to rough-cut chipboard
















The question remains as to what process will best keep the material from fraying.

I haven't taken photos of a denim related experiment yet.  One would think by looking at others work, flowers are as key to scrapbooking as paper.  Flowers have their place, but not so much on more masculine pages.  I've cut circles out of the material at 1/2 to 1/4 inch decreasing increments and stacked the pile to make lollipop flowers. The stacks can be as simple as 2 layers glued upon one another or as many as the creator wants to apply. Apply a proportional button or other embellishment to the center, and wow-za! Not-so-feminine flower embellishments.  The next chance to sit down and play again, my great helper and I will cut circles out of a contrasting fabric and build the floral embellishment with layers of a daintier material sandwiched between the denim. 

Pictures forthcoming.  Also included with be Bear's new fashion wardrobe!

No comments:

Post a Comment